August 24th is National Peach Pie Day and to celebrate we thought we’d share five things to know about peaches (compliments of Foodimentary).
- Did you know? Peaches were once known as Persian apples.
- “You’re a real peach” originated from the tradition of giving a peach to the friend you liked.
- Peaches were mentioned as early as 79 A.D. in literature.
- Most peaches are cultivated by grafting different combinations of rootstocks to scions; not raised from seed.
- There are over 700 varieties of peaches – some Chinese varieties are even flat like hockey pucks.
Who knew? Hope you indulge in a slice of peach pie or a glass of peach sweet (see Monday’s post) today!
Happy National Peach Pie Day!