Ahh, spring football. For those of you wondering exactly what this means to a coach’s wife (I feel like my experience as a coach’s wife is a totally relatable subject to many of you whose spouse travels all week, works long shifts, or you experience moments in time where you are “mom” and “dad” to your kids.), it means the following:
1. Coach gets home about 2 hours later than normal*
2. If we are going to eat dinner as a family, we eat 1.5 hours later than normal*
3. As a result, Lil Hatt goes to bed 1 hour later than normal*
4. Therefore, my downtime at night is 1 hour less than normal*
*When I say normal, I am not referring to football season as most that happens during football season is not normal.*
5. Coach has to work Saturday mornings, either at practice or a scrimmage or a position competition or the red & white game or game planning or…..6. Coach becomes extremely limited in his ability to fully engage in conversation, decision making, home front productivity, etc., as football is ever present on his mind
7. As a result, we talk a lot of football. A LOT…8. Coaches wives start to rally and gatherings including our kids (or girls’ night out with babysitters) start getting scheduled so we can take the edge off, commiserate, celebrate and support one another in this “pseudo single parent time” (I will say that we would gladly take THIS every day of the week and twice on Sunday versus the complete “mom & dad” time period we experience during football season)
9. We start to get excited about the upcoming season and the promise of our teams and the arrival of summer time when we only have to share our husbands for a few hours each day (this is the time that the “honey do” list gets pulled out, dusted off and added to).
10. We get ready to say goodbye to the senior boys who have become family, stolen our hearts, enriched our lives and are ready to spread their wings and enter their next chapter.Spring ball is a wonderful, and somewhat tiring, time of year for us as coaches wives and I wouldn’t have it any other way!