This Saturday is my birthday! I believe life gets better every year, even with all of its ups, downs, twists and turns. We are so blessed this year with Baby #2 on the way – family is the most precious gift. I’m grateful for another year to learn, to grow and live life to the fullest. So in honor of my birthday, we decided to celebrate Oprah style with a list of my favorite things from over the years. I have so many moments and memories but these are a few that stand out.
1. Getaway trip to Kuai – Coach and I spent our 1st anniversary in Kuai, HI and we completely fell in love with the island. It is not as commercialized as some of the other islands and the locals are so friendly. If you visit I highly recommend The Merriman’s Fish House for dinner. It is where we spent our anniversary and we had the most magical evening including spectacular views and amazing food!
2. A cookbook to treasure – I have my mom’s copy of Necessities and Temptations (The Junior League of Austin) with her notes and changes. As such it is one of my most prized items I inherited from her. What I love about this cookbook is its terrific blend of savory and sweet all with a homemade Southern flair.
3. A restaurant we love – I adore risotto and Taverna has the best in town. They always have a risotto special so I get to try different flavor combinations every time I go!
4. Football season – I love football naturally being a football coach’s wife, but specifically I love college football and my LSU Tigers.
5. Entertaining – Here’s a great entertaining tip. Keep an entertaining journal. It helps you to remember what you served to whom, what your guest’s favorite food and drinks are, what worked well and what you need to change for the next time.